Thursday, March 27, 2014

"For behold, I am God; and I am a God of miracles" 2 Nephi 27:23

What happens when you specifically pray to bring someone closer to the Savior and His gospel every day, pray for the missionaries in our area and their investigators by name every day, and invite a friend to an activity in or out of your home? MIRACLES!!!

I have been keeping daily journal entries on keeping Elder Nielsen's invitations. I'm sharing my log of my entries about our investigator Sis. L, so you can see the miracles unfold!

Friday, February 21:

We taught a sister named L with the APs tonight. She is a caregiver to an Agong [Chinese term of respect for an elderly man]. She loves the gospel but she can't come to church because she works every Sunday and her employer (Agong's adult children) won't let her leave him. The APs did a wonderful job of teaching her about 1 Nephi 3:7 and asked her to exercise her faith in God to help her to be able to attend church. Afterwards, Sis. L shared a concern she had about praying. She said twice she had experienced an icy cold feeling that came over her entire body and had a paralizing effect on her. She wanted to know why, and what it meant. I remember thinking to myself that this sounded like Joseph Smith’s experience just prior to the First Vision (JSH 1:16). I asked Sis. L if she had experienced good feelings while praying. She said all the time. I then turned to 2 Nephi 32:9. She read it and I asked her: Who wants to keep you from praying (paralyzing her)? She responded (from verse 9): The evil spirit. Then she pointed to the open Plan of Salvation pamphlet. I had opened it up earlier to show her the picture of the happy family. She said: Because he (the evil spirit) wants us to be miserable like him! It perfectly resolved her concern:) Sis. L must have read the last paragraph on the pamphlet page to herself, “Satan and his followers were sent away from God’s presence and were not allowed to be born on earth. They continue to exist as spirits. They are miserable, and they want you to be miserable.” I love the pamphlets!



Sunday, March 2:

The APs forwarded to me a text message from Sis. L during Sunday School: 
Sis. L: God crowned me with favor and mercy! Everyday is a thanksgiving for He never leave us. Elders Pls help me pray for my dad, his 4th year death anniversary. 
Me: I will pray for you today, that you’ll know that your father’s spirit still lives on and is in a much better place! Alma 40:12. 
Sis. L: Thank you! I know He is, sister. 
I asked Sis. L if she had time to meet with us, and she set up but later had to cancel. She was SO sad, and texted: 
I will make up for this! I don’t know how but I know God will make a way. He is the God of Miracles-_-

Thursday, March 6:
Sis. L texted me today and asked if we could meet. Unfortunately we had MLC. I called the Beiqu sisters and they were able to meet with her. I had told them about the brother in Yuanshan, how he had finished reading the entire Book of Mormon, and knew it was true, but the Yuanshan elders had not set a baptismal date with him because he had no way to get to church. I asked the elders to set a baptismal date and let the Lord provide a way. The Lord had helped the ward make a plan to physically carry this good brother to church, up and down five flights of stairs. He was being baptized that weekend:) Therefore, I asked the sisters to consider this with Sis. L. If she was willing to sacrifice for the Lord, He could provide the way. If she was willing to read the Book of Mormon, and lay that sacrifice on the alter, then the Lord would make it possible for her to attend church. Those obedient and faithful Beiqu sisters did it! They challenged Sis. L to read the entire Book of Mormon and set a goal to finish by Easter Sunday! That's six chapters a day, and the sisters committed to reading as well! Through that huge sacrifice, they are pleading with the Lord to make it possible for Sis. L to attend church that special Easter. Sis. L was SO happy!

Monday, March 10
Last week I found out who the elder was that first contacted Sis. L! He had injured his ankle and was spending time serving in the office, but had just returned out to the field. I asked him to send me an account of what happened. Today, I received his email:
One afternoon [November 7, 2013] we arrived at a less active member's home for a visit. They were not there so we quickly said a prayer and asked Heavenly Father to guide us to someone who was prepared. We then began tracting. I came to a large apartment building and began to ring the bell for each floor when I heard a door open and someone coming down the stairs. A young women answered the door and I introduced myself. She did not speak Chinese so I repeated my introduction in English. She then covered her face with her hands and began to cry. She said she had been in Taiwan for a year now and because of the language barrier she had not been able to attend church and also did not have any scriptures to read. She also said that work had placed a large burden on her. She continued by saying that she had been praying that God would send someone to come find her. She shook our hands and said, "I had a good feeling about today. I knew God would answer my prayers." God lives and knows each and every one of us. He is mindful of every child and is ever near to hear our humble prayers.

Saturday, March 15
Taught Sis. L in the doorway of her home with the Beiqu sisters. She is already reading in Mosiah now! She shared with us some of her favorite verses. She finds such joy and comfort in the scriptures, taking every spare moment to go to her room and read some more. Before we departed, the four of us held hands as we prayed:) Afterwards, we took a picture with Sis. L and she told us we could leave notes for her in the pocket of a wheelchair on her doorstep. 

Sunday, March 16
The Beiqu sisters called me and told me of the miracle that happened after we taught Sis. L! She had the opportunity to share the gospel with Agong! She said she took him out for a walk in his wheelchair later that day. They happened to see a bride. He asked her why she was dressed in white. She told him it was probably because she was Christian, and that white symbolized purity and virtue. She told him that when Christ was resurrected, he was also dressed in white, and that He was our Savior and atoned for our sins. He asked if that was the reason she went to church. When she told him it was, he said he would have to talk to his daughter about letting her go to church! Amazing miracle!!!

Monday, March 17
Wrote a note to Sis. L and left it in the wheelchair pocket on my morning run. Later she texted me back with joy: I was so excited to read it! And it brighten my day!

Saturday, March 22
Wrote a note to Sis. L and she was so happy:) Used a sheet of stationery that had a little girl with black hair riding on the back of a flying Dr. Seuss like creature with a cape on it. I drew an arrow to the girl and labeled her “L.” Then drew an arrow to the creature with the words, “The Lord is our hero!” I tried not to be disrespectful in implying the Lord was a creature! Sis. L texted me: Thank you Sis! I am really blessed having you in my life! My name pointed to that little girl light my day! Smile filled my face. 1 Chronicles 29:14 am sharing what God had given me (words) – through all of you. Genesis 26:1-12 I am trying to plant seed in this dry home. I know God will let it grow.

Thursday, March 27
The miracle of the day was Sis. L! She called to tell me she would be going to church this Sunday...and every Sunday! She said she had a really bad day yesterday, and that Agong was mean to her again. I asked her what she did, and she said she went to her room and prayed that God would protect her and help her. Then she told me that today, she mustered up all the courage she could and told his daughter that she couldn’t take it any more, she had to go back to the Phillipines. They knew she had been mistreated. They begged her to stay, they told her she could go to church every week if she wanted to! MIRACLE OF MIRACLES!!! If Sis. L comes to church these next two Sundays and General Conference, she could be baptized on Sunday 4/13 (before transfers). Then she can be confirmed on Easter Sunday!!! It was a day of miracles for the Beiqu sisters, as well as our APs. They were so pumped, I know that they were brought closer to the Savior and His miraculous power!

2 Nephi 27:23
For behold, I am God; and I am a God of miracles; and I will show unto the world that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and I work not among the children of men save it be according to their faith.
Please join us in praying for Sis. L:)

DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES? I DO!!!
DO YOU BELIEVE WE CAN HASTEN THE WORK OF SALVATION? I DO!!!

Please Consider This:
I went with the missionaries to teach Sis. L twice. That took about one hour each. I wrote her a couple of notes (maybe 10-15 minutes max) and delivered them both on my morning run, so I was exercising anyway. I included her in my prayers every day, we all pray every day anyway, right? I sent her a few text messages over a few days. How many of you would give 2 to 3 hours of service to see a miracle like this happen in your life? 

I invite you all to call up your ward missionaries and ask them if you can participate in a lesson with them. 
Then pray for your missionaries and your investigator by name every day. 
Pray to bring someone closer to the Savior and His gospel every day. 
Invite your investigator to an activity in or out of your home. 
I promise you, if all have faith (including the investigator),
God will show unto you that He is a God of miracles!

Who is willing to do this? Post a Comment below and share with us your miracles as they happen!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing Sister L's story with us. It is truly wonderful to see the miracles and tender mercies happening in Taiwan!

    ReplyDelete