Thursday, April 17, 2014

4-7-14 President's Weekly Letter

Dear Elders and Sisters,

We were blessed to help 60 of our brothers and sisters receive baptism in the month of March! It took diligence, skill and especially FAITH. On Monday of the last week it did not look very likely that we would be able to achieve our goal. I am grateful for your prayers, obedience, hard work and for not giving up. In the end, going forward with faith led to eleventh hour miracles! I believe with persistent effort and enduring faith we can witness 60 baptisms every month in our mission.

I am so grateful to see so many companionships setting goals based on mission standards and then proceeding with diligence and faith to accomplish their goals. I know that some areas of the mission are more challenging than others. Baptisms in these areas are seemingly rare. I love it when missionaries in these difficult areas set goals, have faith and work diligently to realize their goals. They seem oblivious to the challenges and prior lack of success. Their attitude alone exemplifies a successful PMG missionary.  In many cases, their faith and diligence is also rewarded with progressing towards and/or achieving mission standards.

I am working to prepare for the coming transfer next week. Preparing each transfer takes faith, diligence and skill. It is a sacred trust from the Lord. I fast and pray to receive inspiration and guidance. I prayerfully consider each missionary and each companionship. It is a spiritual experience for me. It is disappointing to hear that some missionaries consider this a time of speculation and aspiration. Such behavior makes a mockery of something sacred. If you have engaged in this behavior, I urge you to change by pleading with Heavenly Father to guide and inspire me in the transfer process, as well as to guide and inspire yourself in preparing to serve how and where the Lord wants you to serve.

Section 51 of the Doctrine and Covenants was given in 1831 to saints from New York who were gathering in Ohio. It was a time of transition, somewhat like a transfer day for missionaries. The Lord said to them, “And thus I grant unto this people a privilege of organizing themselves according to my laws. And I consecrate unto them this land for a little season, until I, the Lord, shall provide for them otherwise, and command them to go hence; And the hour and the day is not given unto them, wherefore let them act upon this land as for years, and this shall turn unto them for their good” (D&C 51:15-17).

To each of you, the Lord consecrates an assignment (a place and a companion) for a “little season.” We should act upon these assignments “as for years,” meaning that we should proceed as though we may be in this location with this companion for years. As Ammon began his mission to the Lamanites, he stated, “I desire to dwell among this people for a time; yea, and perhaps until the day I die.” His mission lasted fourteen years and I’m sure that he continued to care for his RCs (the people of Ammon) until the day that he died. What a great example to us of a consecrated missionary!

Make the last week of this movecall your best, and love the area and those you serve enough to stay “as for years!”

President Blickenstaff
Mentor of Champions


No comments:

Post a Comment