Tuesday, October 14, 2014

10-13-14 President's Weekly Letter

Dear Elders and Sisters,

What a marvelous experience we have had this past weekend to learn from our prophet, apostles and other inspired Church leaders. Like you, I looked forward to General Conference with great anticipation. I hoped to be both inspired and taught as I listened to the conference sessions. I was not disappointed. Again and again, throughout the conference, I heard messages that seemed to be addressed to me personally: principles that I had already been thinking about or trying to understand better, principles that I needed to understand in order to magnify my calling, or to fulfill my eternal responsibilities as a husband and father.

I would like to share a few of the talks that spoke to me. I loved President Packer’s story of the power of the Atonement to help those who have suffered from the deeds of others. A woman who had suffered a terrible wrong cried out in anger, “someone must suffer for this!” Then came to her heart and mind the thought, “someone already has….”

I loved the way Elder Lynne Robbins taught us about peer pressure in his talk, “Which Way Do You Face?” “Some young missionaries carry this fear of men into the mission field and fail to report the flagrant disobedience of a companion to their mission president because they don’t want to offend their wayward companion. Decisions of character are made by remembering the right order of the first and second great commandments (see Matthew 22:37–39). When these confused missionaries realize they are accountable to God and not to their companion, it should give them courage to do an about-face.”

Here are two great pearls from Elder Neil L. Anderson’s powerful discourse on the Prophet Joseph Smith: Spiritual questions deserve spiritual answers from God and you won’t be of much help to others if your own faith is not securely in place. And I really enjoyed the six very practical suggestions that Elder Jorg Klebingat gave us to increase our spiritual confidence.

Finally, I’m sure everyone enjoyed Elder Bednar’s wonderful explanation of why members of the Church are so desirous of sharing the precious truths that have blessed our lives. Said he, “The Atonement of Jesus Christ provides the cleanser necessary to be made pure and clean, the soothing salve to heal spiritual wounds and remove guilt, and the protection that enables us to be faithful in times both good and bad.”

I am excited to study the conference addresses in greater depth and apply the teachings in my own life and ministry. What was your favorite talk or quote? How did it inspire you to change or improve? I look forward to reading your answers this week. They will assist me in knowing who you are and how I can help you become who the Lord would have you become in order to fulfill your missionary purpose.

President Blickenstaff
Mentor of Champions


PS. We have had only 9 baptisms so far this month and we are already halfway through October. We have been doing a great job of helping our week A investigators be baptized. We could really improve with our week B and C rollovers. Please pay particular attention to helping all your investigators keep their commitments, especially your week B’s and C’s. Thank you for all that you do to accomplish your missionary purpose of inviting others to come unto Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment