Monday, January 5, 2015

1-5-15 President's Weekly Letter


One of the many great blessings of serving a mission is the time that we take each day to study the Gospel ~ personal and companionship study. There may never be another time in your life in which two hours of gospel study will be so naturally and easily incorporated into your daily schedule. I hope that you will take this time to truly strengthen your knowledge of gospel doctrines and your love for the scriptures. I hope that you will develop a greater love for the Savior as you learn more of His life and teachings.  As you have more effective gospel study, “Your faith in Jesus Christ will grow. Your desire to repent and improve will grow” (PMG, pg. 18).

In order to have the best possible experience with your gospel study, remember the following:
  • You must be awake and alert. Follow the missionary schedule, get up on time, exercise, get dressed, sit at your desk. Get up and walk around if you find yourself getting sleepy.
  • Always begin with prayer. Ask Heavenly Father to enlighten your mind and to help you learn what you need to know. “Study is an act of faith requiring the use of personal agency” (PMG, pg. 17).
  • Write down what you learn. As you show Heavenly Father that you value the things that you learn, He will teach you even more. Pay particular attention to ideas that come to your mind that have not occurred to you previously.
  • Apply what you learned. I encourage you to share what you learned with your companion during companionship study. Ponder it during the day, and use it as you teach. The most effective study is planned in advance and revolves around the needs of those with whom you are working.
I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. It has blessed my life in countless ways. As I study the gospel, I feel a greater desire to serve the Lord, I am more confident that I can do what I have been called to do, and I receive comfort, strength and inspiration. As you face trials and challenges as a missionary, and throughout your life, you can come to understand their purpose, what Heavenly Father desires you to learn, how you can change, and how to overcome by applying gospel principles through receiving and acting upon personal revelation. The Lord told Hyrum Smith to “obtain [his] word” before trying to “declare [his] word” (D&C 11:21). In that same revelation, He also promised, “I will impart unto you of my Spirit, which shall enlighten your mind, which shall fill your soul with joy; And then shall ye know, or by this shall you know, all things whatsoever you desire of me, which are pertaining unto things of righteousness, in faith believing in me that you shall receive” (D&C 11:13-14). I testify that this promise will be fulfilled in your life as you apply yourself in your personal and companionship study.


President Blickenstaff

No comments:

Post a Comment